Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Humilty


Jane Bond Cafe,Uptown Waterloo, February-mid, 2008
At the bar I sit, thoughts the only company I desire. Then in she steps, ripping through my small canvas of time, 
halting my nakin paged poem.
In tote, she has some tall nameless important guy.
 
I look up, rest the pen on a coaster.Lips do their best to fake
a minor toss of delight their way.
She sees what I am doing,
wants to showcase familial talent. 
I chuckle inside.
His eyes pop out, I see where this is going.
I toss the napkin, he reads a little,
his 
brow begins to buckle.

She'll shrug her shoulders at this point.
Be too cool
and betray me.
I wait for it. 
It always backfired in the past. But it continues.She tried hard to be proud, to a point. I hear her voice.
'if she were thinner
she would be
really pretty'
And the lemmings around her would all agree.

I humbly appear, as always. She has no clue what I know.'if she had any depth she would be
really ugly.'

Nameless nods a few times, 'its uh, really great.'
She doesn't know what it means either, I am sure. So she might as well call it shit.
'she's done better ones than this'
For a moment, I enjoy
quiet, secret, personal humour, among the best kinds.

With a grab of the pen I get up, say my goodbyes,
and carry on into the street. 
I leave the bar, with pen, napkin and smirk.A scribble scratched off the edge of a page.
This poem's for you, Sellout Sista 

No comments:

Post a Comment